Sunday, February 26, 2012

Custom quilting

Some pictures of a very involved custom quilt that was finished last month.  The straight feather sections were done with the IQ, also the diagonal 1/4" lines.  The outer border was hand-guided, echoing all the applique, and also the straight line filler. 
A very beautiful quilt- all that applique is done with perfect teeny tiny needle-turn hand stitching.  For some reason I can't find a picture showing the whole quilt.  But there are 9 large blocks just like the one in the first picture below.  The quilter had made this from a pattern in Quilter's Newsletter Magazine if I remember right, and the magazine article showed how the original quilt was done.  I tried to keep the same style of quilting as the original, but I did have to change it a little as the original one was antique, and the quilting was done by hand on that one. 

Chevron Feathers pattern

Showing you a fun batik quilt, that was quilted using the "Chevron Feathers" pattern. 

Here's the line drawing of the pattern- I thought the curvy lines of the pattern were a nice contrast to the sharp straight edges of the piecing. 

A quilt for me

I've had this quilt top pieced for a few years, but had never quilted it.  I often have a hard time motivating myself to quilt my own stuff when I have customer quilts waiting in line.  But about a month ago, I decided just to pin in on the frame & get it done. 
The feathered star quilt top is paper-pieced.  There is a combination of hand-guided & computer-guided designs on the quilt.  That large feather wreath is done with the Intelliquilter, I filled in the small stippling, and also the feather designs in the outer border as hand-guided patterns, as well as the checkerboard background fill in the cream corner areas.  

Different binding techniques

I was looking through some quilting blogs, and came across this site that has lots of links to different quilting techniques.  I thought this "faux" piped binding technique looks really interesting, and not really much harder than a regular binding.  I just might give this a try!

Let me know if you use this method & I'll post a picture here of how it turnes out-