Tuesday, March 12, 2019

How does it work?


When I meet someone new, and they ask, "what do you do?"  I tell them, I finish quilts on a long-arm machine.  Often, at this point, I can see the question mark over their head.  I can imagine they are picture the quilting frame they remember from their Grandma's house, with me sitting by the quilt and a needle in my hand.  So, I made a video of the machine running to show how it works.

The backing, batting, and quilt top are all loaded separately.  The tablet mounted on the front is a computer that is connected to 2 small motors that move the machine to stitch the 3 layers together in the chosen design.  The frame is 12 feet wide.

I can also disconnect the computer and guide the machine by hand with the handles you see on the front.  I mostly do computer-guided designs, however, to avoid the strain on my neck/shoulders.




No comments: